Mobile

Mobiel

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Crockpot Korean Tacos with Purple Cabbage Slaw . . . Heaven in a Tortilla!

Oh my heavens, these are so good.  I made way too much and we ate Korean Tacos three dinners in a row but my son was still asking to have them at lunch.  I saw a few Korean Taco recipes on Pinterest and I've adapted mine from two.  This recipe is quite easy and made more then enough for our family of two adults and two youngsters.  Enjoy!

Crockpot Korean Tacos

For the Meat:
3 or 4 pounds boneless pork ribs (I used boneless pork ribs because they were on sell but I'm sure you could use chicken or beef)
3/4  cups soy sauce
1/2 cup and 2 TBS packed brown sugar
5 cloves garlic, grated (I roughly chopped)
2 tablespoons grated ginger (again I roughly chopped)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoons sesame oil
1/2-1 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes

Optional:  if you are using the pork ribs and want less fat, cook in a pot of water for a few minutes to render some of the fat off.

In a slow cooker base add the ribs (some people spray their crock-pot with non-stick cooking spray first but I found that it makes no difference).  In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients until combined; pour over the ribs. Cook on low heat for 8 hours. The original recipe suggested that you rotate the ribs halfway through and use a turkey baster to do a quick baste on the ribs but I didn't do this. When ready to serve, take out of crockpot, and shred.

Prepare Purple Cabbage Slaw by shredding 1/2 head of purple cabbage and tossing it with 1 TBS of soy sauce (I always use Braggs Amino Acids) and 2 TBS of rice vinegar.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Lightly fry tortillas.  If you need detailed instructions for cooking a tortilla check out this website http://gastronomygirl.blogspot.com/2008/02/corn-tortillas-and-how-to-cook-them.html

To serve, top cooked tortilla with finished Korean Pork and top with Purple Cabbage Slaw.

Adapted from http://www.mylifeasamrs.com/2011/09/crockpot-korean-beef-tacos.html for the meat and http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-shredded-korean-beef-tacos.html for the slaw

No comments:

Post a Comment