Mobile

Mobiel

Friday, January 4, 2013

Football Valentine's Box

When my son was in Kindergarten, he was to bring a box to school to collect Valentine's Day cards from his classmates.  So with my lack of  crafty and creative talent, we created a Valentine's Day box.  I was quite proud of it as we marched into my son's class with it.  Then I saw the other boxes.  Wow!  There are some very creative and talented mom's!  Mine looked like it was created by a kindergartner  which of course I said it was.  I would never admit that I did most of the work. 

When my son was in first grade, to my horror, he brought home a note asking parents to help their child create a Valentine's Day box for school.  What was I going to do?  My son wanted a football box.  I looked online and found an idea and tried to recreate it.  It actually turned out . . .at least I thought I did.  I wasn't going to get too proud knowing that we still needed to get it to the school and face the boxes created by the more talented Mom's.  

I am happy to report the box was an absolute success!  The first thing my son said when he got home was that he could hardly breath because his classmates crowded in so close around him to look at his box. The kids had a blast slipping their cards into it. YEAH!!!  Now I just have to get through another year.  My fingers are crossed that decorating the box will be a class project.  Pretty sure I used up all my crafty luck!

Here is what it looked like and how I did it:

Warning:  These instructions might not be totally accurate and even make sense.  So use your better judgement when recreating your own football box.

  • We got a larger shoe box and cut a rectangle hole, large enough for cards, in the lid towards the top.  
  • We wrapped the lid and the box separately in green making making sure the lid still had the hole. 
  • I bought some football stickers from Walmart and let my son place them wherever he wanted.   
  • I had planned to draw yard lines but he placed all the stickers on top.  
  • For the goal post, I used bamboo skewers and cut and glued them together to resemble a goal post.  Make sure that any pointy parts are cut off except for the base.  Use a pointed piece for that with the point facing down.  Gluing them is tricky.  I can't remember what kinds of glue I used but it took a lot of it along with manipulating the sticks to hold just right.  When the glue is dry, poke the goal post in the box.  You may need to glue it from underneath too. 
  • For the net, again I used bamboo skewers cut to the size I wanted leaving the pointy parts at the bottom   The net was cut from an orange bag and glued to the skewers.  When the glue is dry poke the pointy parts into the box behind the goal post.
Source:  http://lottamadness.com/home/2011/02/12/valentines-boxes-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment